LOOK DESIGN SEMINAR
WITH DADO VALENTIC
THIS CLASS IS FOR
This seminar is a complete overview of the process of Show Look Design and ShowLUT development. It covers all techniques of Look Design, from concept and idea to final delivery. We will learn everything, from client liaison, color management, ACES and Davinci Wide Gamut workflow and complete training with three practical Look Design exercises. This seminar is an ideal introduction to the world of ShowLUT Design.
Now that every production is demanding color-managed workflow, it became a standard practice that at the start of the show, the colorist would develop a look in the form of a showlut. If you are interested in learning how this process works and how to create sophisticated looks for film, tv or high-end commercial productions, then this course is for you. You will know where to start the design, how to present it, deliver it, and make sure that the showlut will perform in various shooting scenarios and deliver aesthetically and technically. Dado’s experience of look design spans more than a decade. This seminar will cover practical and straightforward steps, including the actual practical look design of three different ShowLUTs inspired by movies.
- Stocker ( Cinematographer: Chung-hoon Chung Colorist: Jill Bogdanowicz )
- Assassins Creed ( Cinematographer: Adam Arkapaw Colorist: Tom Poole )
- Annihilation ( Cinematographer: Rob Hardy Colorist: Asa Shoul )
What you will learn
- Look Design Process overview
- How to present look candidates adequately
- How to be smart about color management
- What are the building blocks of a show look
- How to stress-test the showlut
- How to fix gamut errors
- How to prepare showlut for on-set, VFX and post
- How to convert to ACEScct workflow
- How to convert to Davinci Wide Gamut workflow
- Practical look design: inspired by ‘Stoker.’
- Practical look design: inspired by ‘Assassins Creed.’
- Practical look design: inspired by ‘Annihilation.’
- Q and A
WHO SHOULD TAKE THIS COURSE
Colorists, Cinematographers, and DITs who desire to learn the process of look design and showlut development. No previous experience in look design is needed, but the operational skills of Davinci Resolve are beneficial.
By completing this seminar participants will
One Day Seminar
6 hours training
Meet your instructor
Dado Valentic has contributed to looks for major film and TV productions like Game of Thrones, Exodus, Sherlock Holmes, Marco Polo, Crazy Rich Asians, Mr. Nice, Assassin and many more. His method of look design has been implemented in the plugin and stand-alone application ‘Look Designer’ responsible for the look creation of an estimated 50.000 TV shows, feature films and major commercials.
When he is not designing looks, he trains and consults Google, YouTube, Dolby, WB Studios, Univision, Comedy Central, HBO, CBS, Adobe, Activision, NBC Universal, Electronic Arts and Disney.
Dado not only works in the industry but also maintains a vast training program and online community. His training program was developed at the British Film Institute’s initiative and is now adopted by SMPTE and is considered the reference on the topics covered. He has been invited to be a guest lecturer at major Film Educational Institutions such as the UCLA, Art Center College, London International Film School, NY Film Academy, UPGrade Berlin, International Colorist Academy, Moscow International Film School, Dutch Nation Film and Television School, Australian National Film School, SAE Oxford, Glasgow University, REDucation and many more.
What you will get from this seminar?
- Four hours of live and interactive training
- Free 30-day license for Look Designer for Davinci Mac, Windows and Linux
- Access to recordings of screen share and main grading output
- Davinci look files ( .drx )
- Discount on the course Showlut design with Cullen Kelly
- Three Look Designs inspired by world-class cinematography
- Access to exclusive Colorist Discord community
- BONUS: Custom IDT for Sony Venice